Frederick Truman Bradley, 1860 – 1940
Frederick T. Bradley was born on November 28, 1860, a member of a prominent New England family. He was educated at Hopkins Grammar School where he graduated with honors. He then entered Yale Scientific School and completed his coursework in June of 1882. After working for his father as an associate upon graduation, Bradley became a member of the firm of English & Mersick on January 1, 1894, a manufacturer of carriage parts and lamps. In June 1895, the business incorporated in the name of English & Mersick Company. Edwin F. Mersick was president and treasurer, John P. Kennedy, Vice President, and Bradley was secretary. Upon the death of Mersick, Kennedy became president, Bradley became treasurer, and Carl W. Johnson became secretary. Under the direction of Kennedy, Bradley and Johnson, the business thrived.
Bradley was married twice, first to a daughter of Edwin F. Mersick, Sarah Emily Mersick, and then to Mary Elizabeth Mersick, a daughter of Charles S. Mersick. He was well known in club circles, belonging to the Graduates Club, the Quinnipiac Club, the New Haven Country Club, the Pine Orchard Club, and the Yale and University Clubs of New York City. He politically endorsed the republican party candidates, but did not enter politics himself.
Beside being treasurer of the English & Mersick Company and being actively involved in the manufacture of automobile and carriage hardware, he was also director of the Yale National Bank and the New Haven Morris Plan Bank. He figured prominently in local financial circles.
Frederick Truman Bradley rests at Evergreen Cemetery and Crematory of New Haven.